Monday, December 8, 2008

The correct way to protect your home A/C condenser in winter

If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow-fall and you have been wondering about the proper way to protect your A/C condenser during the winter, this is how you do it.

I will start this off with the things you SHOULD NOT do to protect it, but are highly recommended in department stores. DO NOT WRAP YOUR CONDENSER OR COVER IT WITH AN A/C COVER. Doing this promotes moisture and condensation inside the tarp or cover and rusts the internal components. Additionally, covering an A/C condenser also encourages rodents to take up residency inside the unit. These guys chew through wiring, insulation, and electrical components and cause very expensive repairs.

So with that being said - how do your protect your external A/C condenser. Simply cut a scrap piece of plywood to the length and width of the top measurement of your A/C condenser and place it over the fan guard directly on top of the unit.

Place your 3-4 bricks on top of the plywood to keep it in place.

If you want to help protect the metal exterior and keep it looking good, simply give it a coat or two of car wax before all of the snow and rain come down.

2 comments:

aldrin james said...

I never thought that what I was doing is wrong. I am just so glad that I found this post. Now I know how to do it in the right way. I can now protect my home correctly.

dishwashers

Charlie C. said...

Hey real nice post. I want to let you know of a new product out called TRiCC Utility Cover. It is a faux bush that looks very real and can cover utility equipment year round and still allow proper airflow. Check it out at www.triccover.com. I think you will be very interested in this product.